Saturday, March 29, 2014

Turnips! Turnips Everywhere!

Crab and I on Saturdays go and volunteer at The Mountain View Market Farm.
Always lots of fun to be had the farm.
Chickens, sheep, pigs and farming!
Today we were pulling weeds where the turnips had been growing.
The turnip row was ready to be turned into something else.
So everything was to be pulled and composted.
But there was still some turnips about.
We decided to save some of these.
And ended up with lots and lots of turnips!



 They weren't perfect turnips.

A few were big, but mostly they were tiny and under grown.
Headed for composting.
But I wanted them in my belly!

Turnip and Chickpea Curry.




 Chop turnups into small chunks.

 About 4 cloves of garlic.


Half and onion and a shallot.
I think shallots are just so cute.
I mean look at that thing.
Who wouldn't want to bite in to it?


Sautee onions, garlic and shallots.
Add in turnips.


Add in a can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained.


Chickpeas are so pretty.
My very favorite bean.
I could just eat them out of the can,
Which I might have done here too.
But the rest of the can went into the pan!

 Add some seasonings.
Curry, turmeric, garlic and ginger.


Mix all the seasonings about.

 Put on the lid and let the flavors really soak in.

 It smells so good.
I wish I could share this smell with you right now.


A can of coconut milk.
I was planning on using this milk for a pie so it had been refrigerated,
Which is why it is so thick.
Still useable.
Just needed to be mixed up again.


One large red bell pepper.


Some delicious kale.


This two get added get thrown in the last few minutes.
This keeps them fresh flavorful.

Mashed Turnips.
Chop up some more turnips.


And about 3 potatoes.

 The roots and tops from my turnips.
Looks like such a sad battlefield.
My compost will be happy.


Boil potatoes and turnips.
About 25 minutes.
Or until soft to the touch.


Throw in a clove of garlic or two for flavor.

Put boiled root vegetables into blender.
A splash of milk.

Bake mashed vegetables for about 10 minutes.
Not sure why but it seemed like a good idea.

And taadaaah!
A delicious turnipy dinner!




No comments:

Post a Comment