Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Creamy Potato with Veggie Sausage

So today was rather cold and dismal.
We even got snow!
Maybe just a flurry or two.
Snowy weather in New Mexico warrants soup!

I started this soup with not much more else than the idea that I wanted soup.
I had made a potato soup a week or so ago and that was delicious.
It was a simple potato, carrots and kale.
I didn't want the same soup though.
I had to change it up.

I started with some veggie sausage.
I fried this up in the pan with just a smidge of olive oil.


Then added about half an onion.

We like our spicy-ness.
So a whole poblano pepper.

It looked like little bandit eyes to me.

About 3 cloves of garlic

And of course some golden potatoes.
Happy 'taters!

And for some extra fun, sweet potatoes.

This was all added into the pot.
And allowed to fry for about 15 minutes.

Then about 3 cups of water.
Allow to boil till potatoes are soft.
About 30 minutes.

Well waiting 30 minutes, this would be a perfect time to wash those dishes piling up behind you. Or accomplish any number of useful things. I chose to watch another episode of Veronica Mars. But of course you are free to make your own choices.

The potatoes were at almost perfect softness.
The sausage added a lot of flavor.
But I added just a bit more.

Salt, Pepper, Cayenne and Garlic.
Yes, Crab's salt shaker is adorable and you should be jealous.


I decided last minute my soup need creaminess.
So in went about 1/3 the box of cashew milk
*note, I hadn't intended on so much milk, but
in my attempt to get a nifty picture more went in.

Luckily it worked perfectly.

As long as we are making it creamy.
Better make it cheesy.

If you haven't heard of Nutritional Yeast, I request that you go look it up now.


It is so delicious and healthy.
It adds a nutty cheesy flavor.

And potato soup is complete without kale.

Add in at the last five minutes,
to keep it crisp.

Perfect cold day soup.
It was more delicious than I could ever describe.

I had 2 bowls.
Crab had 4.

It was phenomenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment