Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sweet Potato Sunday

Another slow starting Sunday morning.
I offerred Crab either Banana Pancakes or Sweet Potatoes with Green Chilies and eggs for breakfast.
He couldn't decide and I decided to make the best of both worlds.

Sweet Potato Pancakes.

The best place to start is with a sweet potato.


 Peel your sweet potato.  

Chop into chunks. 

Add to about 3 cups of water.
And start boiling.

As shelled pecans are about the same price as rubies.
We decided to start buying pecans in shells.
I got as cool nut cracker off Amazon.
But still going to be busy for a while.
Sit down and watch some Netflix.

A little under an hour later.
I've got about 2 cups of shelled nuts.

Time to get going on some pancakes.


1 cup of Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Almond Flour.
I like to mix in the almond flour when going gluten free.
Makes it a little bit denser and gives it that nutty taste.


1 teaspoon salt.
3 teaspoons baking powder.
1 teaspoon nutmeg.



1 and a half cups milk.

I did about 1 cup milk and a half cup water.
Almond milk is expensive,
So I try to stretch it out.


Cloud offering to help taste test.
( I swear, this is just a perception picture)
Her tongue never touches the batter.
Probably.


Cloud had been looking a little mangy.
I gave her a bath and brushed some coconut oil in.
She's been looking like a grease ball stray since.
I'm a terrible mom.
But I laugh at her a little bit.


2 beaten eggs.


Mash up your boiled sweet potatoes.

Then add it to the batter.
It gives your batter a lovely orange color.
So pretty.


Not a big Paula Dean fan, there is not butter in my house.
Luckily, coconut oil can usually be substituted. 


About 1/4th cup
Or about 3 huge spoonfuls.


About 3 handfuls of pecans.
Realize how quickly the pecans you spent hours cracking disappear.

A sprinkle of brown sugar.
About 2 tablespoons.


Some fresh ginger and cinnamon


I didn't really measure. Just grated straight into the bowl.


Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a hot skillet.


And when they start to get bubbly...


Flip them!


Apple Cider Vinegar Syrup


Start with about 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Pour into a pot.


Add about 1 cup brown sugar


A spoonful or two of raw wildflower honey.


A few cinnamon sticks and some cloves.

A recipe I found said to thicken it with cornstarch.
I didn't have any cornstarch.
But the baking powder container was  right in front of me.
Baking Powder had cornstarch!!...


Baking powder also has baking soda...
Fun reaction.
Watch it bubble for a while.

But how to thicken it?
One site suggested another 2 cups of sugar.
No thank you.
I'd like to keep it as healthy as possible.



Plain flavored protein powder.
Shifted in to avoid chunks.
Less than a 4th cup I believe.


Keep the lid on.
Let it simmer and bubble.



It smells pretty amazing.
Let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
Stirring occasionally. 


Right at the end I added a dash of milk.
It just calmed the flavors and gave it a creamy texture.



Delicious Apple Cider Vinegar Syrup.




I had saved a few chunks of sweet potatoes.
And a handful of pecans.



I threw those in a pan.
With cinnamon, honey and brown sugar.
And cooked them till candied.



Serve with fresh apple slices.



Eat entirely too many.
But pretend it is still healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment