In which I learned the recipe for a Miso Pesto.
It was so enticing and delightful.
Here is the recipe they made and then I'll tell you all the changes I did.
Honestly, you should probably stick to their recipe.
But I'm a renegade cook! I make things up as I go.
Also I was missing some ingredients but I didn't let that stop me.
Miso Pesto
1 1/2 TBs fresh Burdock Root, peeled and diced
2 TBs fresh Ginger Root, peeled and diced
3 TBs Cilantro
2 Cs loosely packed Dandelion Greens, washed and chopped(about half a bunch)
2 Cs loosely packed Arugula, washed and chopped (about half a bunch)
4 Cs loosely packed Spinach, washed and chopped
1/4 C White or Yellow Miso
1/4 C Rice Wine Vinegar
1/8 Tsp. Cayenne
1 TBs Raw Honey
1 1/2 Tsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
Combine burdock root, ginger root and all greens in a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until a puree forms.
Miso pesto makes a great sauce for roasted or grilled vegetables, and is great with pasta or as an addition to soup!
Now that you have the proper way to make it, let's go over the way a silly taPir like me tried.
Burdock root, if you have never heard of it before, is used in many Japanese and Chinese medicines and is known for its ability to cleanse the blood and help with inflammation.
I personally never peel ginger, I don't own a peeler, just a knife, so very rarely are things peeled in this kitchen.
Next is cilantro, known for it's ability to pull toxins and metals from the blood. We have our own cilantro plant growing and it makes me super happy, it had a rough start and we almost lost it, but it has been doing great and fresh cilantro abides.
Dandelion Greens have a bitter taste yet are rich in iron and calcium. It helps to detox the liver, has more protein than spinach, believed to be cancer risk reducing and is great for the skin.
Chop remaining greens and add to Vitamix.
I like to think of the Vitamix as all powerful...
I chose to test that power.
Cut to Vitamix over heating and shutting off.
My nervous glances about to make sure Crab didn't see me almost breaking his blender.
Smack all ingredients into a bowl and slowly add them back into blender.
Vitamix still has some problems.
Add more vinegar.
Not very helpful.
Add more water.
Little bit better, still problematic.
Add more honey.
Greens sit on top just sit there while the bottom whirs without really blending.
Add more miso.
Mixing still isn't improved dramatically.
Stab little spatula into moving blender while mixing.
Break spatula...
Well that looks like just the perfect consistency I was going for.
Add some cayenne. Cayenne peppers are filled with detoxing benefits, they increase the flow of enzyme productions and gastric juices, this enhances the breakdown and removal of toxins. As well as making you sweat which is one of the best ways to detoxify.
I didn't have any toasted sesame seed oil, so olive oil will work just fine.
The flavor is a little strong, but delicious.
Chop vegetables to roast.
I used beets, kohlrabi, carrots and...
I can't remember the name if this vegetable. Anyone?
Vegetables roast at 375 for about 20 minutes.
Fresh from oven, mix pesto and vegetables.
Eat yummy healthy food and feel good.




No comments:
Post a Comment